Sunday, January 16, 2011

Adoption Questions

As we continue on in our Adoption I meet lots of people with questions.
I don't mind the questions at all. I know that if you don't have much experience with international adoption it can seem confusing.
I will list the questions and statements people have made below.
If new ones come up, I will post those too.

Why are you adopting?

I have had a desire to adopt since I was a young girl

Why are you adopting a special needs child?

I knew also at a young age that I would have a child with Down Syndrome

That's a BIG commitment, taking on a special needs child. You may have them live with you forever and they require almost all of your time.

Having kids period is a big commitment. Each time I was pregnant I didn't know the kind of child I would have, but I knew no matter what, they were MINE sent to me by God. These boys are no different.
As far as being with us forever. I think it's GREAT. I never did understand when I would hear couples talking about how they can't wait for the day all their kids were gone. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure I get that from my Dad. He hates to have us kids too far away. We all know he is going to go nuts when the last child leaves. We also fully expect him to find ways to talk or visit us all week. Oh wait, he already does this:)

Why aren't you adopting from America? We should be taking care of our own.

Well go ahead then, YOU adopt from America

FIRST of all, I do not believe in "Our Own" We are ALL created by God. Period.
Also, that's where my sons are. I can't help that they were born there.

I am not against adopting from the states or fostering. It may even happen for us one day. But for now, this is what God has planned for us. Yes the conditions over seas are MUCH worse due to lack of resources and education. But I believe every child deserves a loving family and there are millions of them out there waiting for a loving family.

What about your kids at home now, you are robbing them of a better life.

Yeah, we all know that material possessions makes our kids the best they can be


To quote a mother who was asked this question after adopting,
"Yes, I am taking away the illusion that life is all about them"

Why does it cost so much?

I posted the cost breakdown HERE

When will you be going to get the boys?


I really can't say exactly, but if all the paperwork goes as planned I hope to be traveling by April/May of this year

How long will you be in Eastern Europe?


They say to plan on at least 4 weeks to as much as 6 weeks.

Why so long?


When we first arrive we have paperwork and then have to wait for an appointment to see the judge, that can take up to 3 weeks and then we have to wait on approval.

Are your kids going with you?

No. They advise strongly against that due to all the running around, long car and train rides and such. We are hoping to find someone that could come stay at our home with the kids while we are gone. We also have all of my family close by. They will be helping out a lot.
I know it won't be easy for the kids or us being separated so long. But I know that years from now one month will seem a small sacrifice compared to the reward.
Skype will be our friend!

5 comments:

The Monier Family January 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM  

AMEN AMEN and AMEN!!!

Felicity January 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM  

I think what you're doing is great!! I've also had a desire to adopt from an early age, and my heart lies in Eastern Europe too... right now it's not an option because of where we're living (South Africa), but we're planning on emigrating soon, and then... who knows...
Wishing you all the best in this journey,
Felicity

Kristi J January 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

wow, congrats...such wonderful news!! so happy for you all and your sweet boys, kristi

Lisa January 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM  

you are doing a very wonderful thing! And in return you of course will be blessed with 2 precious boys. Congratulations

Kelly January 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

I found your blog from Maria's--I absolutely love your answers, especially the crossed out ones!! Blessings to you and your family as you follow God's plan.

Followers

Books I LOVE and recommend

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP