Friday, December 17, 2010

I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be

Last week after we chose "Gavin" and were waiting for the paperwork in order to go public and be completely committed to him, I received an email from the director of Reece's Rainbow. It read, "Gavin is quite delayed, and has some sensory issues....you need to be prepared for these things. He has tremendous potential for blossoming and growth, but he is struggling right now."

She sent this picture that was taken just days before. He is going to be six in February. SIX.

Photobucket

That would be my Jude. THIS is a six year old.

Photobucket

My heart skipped a beat and fear set in instantly.

What in the world are we getting ourselves into?

Did we make the right choice?

Minutes later after almost letting those thoughts take over my mind, I talked to God about it.

I know, I'm brilliant.

PEACE. Instant peace. Completely took over.

YES, we made the right choice!



Life is full of questions. Nothing is guaranteed on this earth.

Should that stop us from doing what God calls us to do?

I remember when Guy and I had marriage counseling. Our good friends and mentors, Pastor Jeff and Cheryl asked me a question I will never forget.
They asked that if Guy never changed one bit from that moment, would I still what to marry him? And what if Guy completely changed after marriage, would I still want to be with him?

Lots of people go into marriage thinking, "Oh, after a few weeks my spouse will be doing things the way I want..."
Or, they think that their future spouse is going to be the same person 20 years from now and never change.

Boy are you in for a surprise if you go into marriage with these thoughts.

Marriage has many ups and downs. Lots of learning of each other, patience, love, commitment.

It's a covenant. You know that God brought you together and you must be faithful and put your trust in Him for all that lies ahead.

We know that God brought Gavin into our lives. We had our eyes on 2 other children but when we went to ask about them other families already committed to them.

I had been following Julia's blog as she brought her sweet Aaron home from the institution. Julia wrote stories of what she experienced and what the fate of Gavin would be if he gets transferred.
I sent her blog to Guy one day at work for him to read, along with a picture of Gavin.

Guy wrote back shortly and said, "Lets get him!"

We do need to work quickly. Gavin is next in line to be transferred out of the baby orphanage. We need to bring him home before that happens!

Guy and I feel more than ever that this is our son. We will work as hard as we can to raise the funds to bring him home.

We do not know all of Gavin's needs, but God does.

We will love him if he never changes.

We will love him if he changes completely.

He is our son.

9 comments:

Debbie December 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

When I saw the title to this post I smiled - I so love that book! It has a lot of meaning to me for various reasons.
Than I read your post and I don't know what to say. So please just know I'll be praying for you and your family and for sweet Gavin.
Thanks again for sharing your journey of adoption and following God's will - even when it may be hard and scary. Love ya!

Mel December 17, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

Lindy, know that there are MANY MANY people praying for you and for your decision to bring home Gavin. Know that you will have tons of prayer coverage in this journey for him & your family. I'm so excited to see how your journey unfolds!

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew December 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

Your "Gavin" is beautiful and if he is anything like my little Theo, he is going to bless your socks off!

Theo came home in August of this year. He was 4 years old and 13 pounds and would have never survived transfer to the institution.

God speed you to "Gavin!"

Felicity December 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

How beautiful! May the Lord lead the way! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Gavin's story!

Jess December 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself because we are adopting from the same orphanage, #20! My husband and I are adopting Riley, who is HIV+. Maybe we will be in country/region at the same time? Praying for you and excited that Gavin has a family!
stclairadoption.blogspot.com

Holly December 19, 2010 at 1:05 AM  

This is awesome! :)

Anonymous December 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

what a beautiful son he is...cant wait to see him in your arms!

harris family journeys December 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Absolutely Beautiful. Perfectly said. I like you already, A LOT.

Brooke January 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM  

i am adopting right now from Ethiopia with my hubby...and I know those fears. We are adopting a younger child, but we have thought about going back later for an older child. SCARY, the idea of an institutionalized child. But GOD CALLS US to care for the sweet children that have no voice. Praying that the funds fall into your hands in an amazing, quick way!!!

Followers

Books I LOVE and recommend

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP