Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"House, family of SIX"

I have been waiting months for the day to come that I could finally announce that we will be adding another child to our home. I thought over and over about what I would write and now that it is here, I hardly know where to begin!
I think I will give you the short version right now and then come back later to tell the story from the beginning.

For now I will tell you that we are beyond thrilled to be adopting a little boy from Eastern Europe. He is a beautiful, blue eyed, blond hair, 5 year old boy with down syndrome.

Down syndrome, how exciting is that!!!

Yes, I said exciting!!!

Anyone that really knows me knows that I was always drawn to down syndrome. Ask my childhood friend Dawn, she will tell you that ever since I was little I would say that someday I would have a child with down syndrome.

And if you know me, you know that I always planned on adopting.

Then one day my friend Maria
posted a picture of a beautiful boy from Reece's Rainbow that needed to be rescued.

I fell in love.

I immediately went onto the Reece's Rainbow site and spent hours scrolling through all the different faces of the children.

I knew I would be adopting one of these children someday. That was about a year ago.

That someday is finally here!!!!

We have committed to adopting "Gavin" (not his real name) and so our adoption process will begin.

Our sweet boy
Photobucket

Our family's page on Reece's Rainbow

I cannot wait to see him smile
Photobucket

This is the part of the story where you all come in. And this part I will write about now because time is short and this is why.

By God's grace Gavin is still in the baby orphanage. But he will be transferred if we don't get him out of there QUICK.

In Eastern Europe they only keep the children in the baby orphanage until about the age of 4 or 5. After that time they transfer them to an institution at which point 80% of them die within the first year.

Please read about this from a family that recently rescued their son and witnessed the institutions first hand.
The Sad Reality
Part 2

This journey we are about to be on is going to be rough at times.

It cost around $25,000 to complete the adoption.
(I will post a break down of the cost soon)

We also only have one car, and as nice of a car as it is, complete with my sons name on it,

Photobucket

it only seats five. So we will also need to raise money to purchase a van.

I know, if I didn't loose you at the "adopting a child with down syndrome" part,
you are now thinking we have totally lost our minds.

How in the world do we expect to raise over twenty-five thousand dollars!?!?!? In a few short months no less.

Good news.

I know someone.

And this SOMEONE owns a cattle on a thousand hills.

$25,000 = A drop in the bucket for Him

Van = Drop - in - the - bucket

I KNOW that this is God's will for us.

Actually, it is God's will for EVERYONE to care for the orphan.

The particular way in which a Christian feels led to care for orphans is
'optional' (adoption, sponsorship, volunteering, etc)
CARING for them is not.

We will be doing many things to raise our money fast.

I have already been taking on as many photo shoots as possible and 100% of the money is going towards our adoption.
Lindy House Photography

I plan on selling T-shirts, jewelery, etc. And some of my prints like this one

Photobucket

Guy and I are no strangers to fund-raising. We have done more car washes with our youth groups then I care to think about.

But we will do whatever it takes to save our son. Our SON!!! :)

If you are a parent, you know exactly what I am talking about. You know that if your child was hurt, sick, kidnapped, you would do ANYTHING to help them and get them HOME.

Whatever it takes.

We would love for you to join us on this journey.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch this below
(Scroll to the bottom of my page and pause the music box first)


If you want to jump right in and start helping, please visit Julia's blog where she has already been raising funds for Gavin before anyone ever committed to him. Isn't that awesome?!?! Julia blesses my socks off.
You can enter your name in a drawing with as little as $5 to win an iPad!!!!

"House, family of SIX"

12 comments:

Sarah December 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

YEA!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Nothing is impossible with God, He will provide! God Bless, and I will be following along on your amazing journey.
Sarah
www.handiworkforelijah.blogspot.com

Maria and Family December 16, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

ok does humbled and thrilled describe how i feel??? YUP! I am so happy to be a blessing in your life, in Gavins life to lead you to him :):) He will be such a blessing to your family ! I can not wait to walk with you thru this journey God has layed out :)
hugs!!!!!!!!!!

Christy December 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

Congratulations! So very happy for you! :)

Stacey December 16, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

Welcome! We have been praying for Gavin's family! Glad to finally meet you! God is good and will provide for your every need! YEAH! We support you from a far!

Lund7 December 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

Congratulations! We are a family of 7...my 8-year old son has Down Syndrome. If I can help out with donations from my etsy shop for fundraising, please let me know. God's blessings on your exciting journey to your son!

Lynda

Mel December 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

We have something in common!! Maria is the person who helped us find our sweet little Timothy in EE too!! I can't wait to follow your journey!! God bless you and your family and your wonderful little Gavin!

Lindy December 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Sarah - Thank you! And thank you for all you do with Genesis and the fund raising. I love that my daughter has great role models to look up to:)

Maria - I always wanted a walking partner! ;) It's so much easier when you have someone beside you to encourage you along the way:)

Praying for Gavin and Stacey - Do you have a blog I can follow?

Lynda - Thank you so much for the offer!!! I will be in touch! God Bless your beautiful family :)

Mell - I have been wanting to tell you for some time now. Timothy is THE face I saw that begun this process for us!!! Every time I see his sweet face I am touched. He will always have a special place in our hearts:)

Anonymous December 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

I can not wait to hug my beautiful little nephew! I know this is a dream come true for you and will be here to help however I can. You are all in our prayers through the trying months ahead. You are an amazing mother and he will be truly blessed to hold your hand and your heart. Miss you all sooooo much but think of you often.
Dawn

Crystal December 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

oh, this is wonderful. We started our adoption journey 4 months ago. When we started we had nothing, God told me $25,000 is like 25 cents to Him. Without a whole lot of fundraising, we have close to $20,000, just after 4 months. God is able. I am excited to watch your journey. Oh, and I am with you. Down syndrome is exciting to me as well. :)

Debbie December 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

I'm so excited for you and your family. I'm not making any promises.... but I'm already thinking of ways I can help. Prayer is first. Telling others. Maybe a yard sale in the spring. I can't wait to see the T-shirts and jewlery you mentioned in your post. I'll def be following your story!

Mom 2 six December 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

What a blessing !!

melinda December 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

Lindy and Guy, I sit here with tears streaming down my face because I am so incredibly proud and blessed by you! I am proud of all that you have done in the lives of youth all over(including my own). This is the icing on the cake! I am very sure God is not thru using you two any time soon! I thank God for you and I pray that your faithfulness will be blessed beyond measure! I want to help you in any way that I can. Know that you will surely be in my prayers! God bless, Melinda

Followers

Books I LOVE and recommend

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP